Table. COVID-19 and mental health: summary of contributing factors and consequences
1. Serafini G, Parmigiani B, Amerio A, et al. The psychological impact of COVID-19 on the mental health in the general population. QJM 2020;113:531–537.
2. Galea S, Merchant RM, Lurie N. The mental health consequences of COVID-19 and physical distancing: the need for prevention and early intervention. JAMA Intern Med 2020;180:817–818.
3. Achotegui J. [Emigration in hard conditions: the immigrant syndrome with chronic and multiple stress (Ulysses’ syndrome)]. Vertex 2005;16: 105–113.
4. Wu PE, Styra R, Gold WL. Mitigating the psychological effects of COVID-19 on health care workers. CMAJ 2020;192:E459–E460.
5. Pfefferbaum B, North CS. Mental health and the Covid-19 pandemic. N Engl J Med 2020;383:510–512.
6. Neria Y, Nandi A, Galea S. Post-traumatic stress disorder following disasters: a systematic review. Psychol Med 2008;38:467–480.
7. Marques L, Bartuska AD, Cohen JN, et al. Three steps to flatten the mental health need curve amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Depress Anxiety 2020;37:405–406.
8. Javadi D, Feldhaus I, Mancuso A, et al. Applying systems thinking to task shifting for mental health using lay providers: a review of the evidence. Glob Ment Health (Camb) 2017;4:e14.
9. Cohen GH, Tamrakar S, Lowe S, et al. Comparison of simulated treatment and cost-effectiveness of a stepped care case-finding intervention vs usual care for posttraumatic stress disorder after a natural disaster. JAMA Psychiatry 2017;74:1251–1258.