1. Callahan LF, Jonas BL. Arthritis, in Ham RJ, Sloane PD, Warshaw G (eds): Primary Care Geriatrics: A Case-Based Approach. Orlando, FL: Harcourt Publisher, 2002, ed 4, pp 499–586
2. Altman R, Asch E. Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1986;29:1039–1049.
3. Moskowitz RW. Clinical and laboratory findings in osteoarthritis, in Koopman WJ (ed): Arthritis and Allied Conditions. Baltimore, Williams Wilkins, 1997, pp 1985.
4. Rosenberg ZS, Shankman S, Steiner GC, et al. Rapid destructive osteoarthritis: clinical, radiographic, and pathologic features. Radiology 1992;182:213–216.
5. American College of Rheumatology. Recommendations for the Medical Management of Osteoarthritis of the Hip and Knee: 2000 Update. Atlanta, GA, American College of Rheumatology, 2000.
6. Hinz B, Brune K. Pain and osteoarthritis: new drugs and mechanisms. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2004;16:628–633.
7. Herman CJ, Allen P, Hunt WC, et al. Use of complementary therapies among primary care clinic patients with arthritis [serial online]. Prev Chronic Dis
2004;1:A12. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2004/oct/03-0036.htm
. Accessed August 1, 2007.
8. Mikuls TR, Mudano AS, Pulley LV, et al. The Association of race/ethnicity with the receipt of traditional and alternative arthritis-specific health care. Med Care 2003;41:1233–1239.
9. Lawson B, Putnam W, Nicol K, et al. Managing osteoarthritis: medication use among seniors in the community. Can Fam Physician 2004;50:1664–1670.
10. Arcury TA, Bernard SL, Jordan JM, et al. Gender and ethnic differences in alternative and conventional arthritis remedy remedy use among community-dwelling rural adults with arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 1996;9:384–390.
11. Boisset M, Fitzcharles MA. Alternative medicine use by rheumatology patients in a universal health care setting. J Rheumatol 1994;21:148–152.
12. Ramsey SD, Spencer AC, Topolski TD, et al. Use of alternative therapies by older adults with osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res 2002;45:222–227.
13. Zochling J, March LM, Lapsley H, et al. Use of complementary medicines for osteoarthritis – a prospective study. Ann Rheum Dis 2004;63:549–554.
14. Ibrahim SA, Siminoff LA, Burant CJ, et al. Variation in perceptions of treatment and self-care practices in elderly with osteoarthritis: a comparison between African American and white patients. Arthritis Care Res 2001;45:340–345.
15. Dominick KL, Dudley TK, Grambow SC, et al. Racial differences in health care utilization among patients with osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol 2003;30:2201–2206.
16. Sloane PD, Callahan L, Kahwati L, et al. Development of a practice-based patient cohort for primary care research. Fam Med 2006;38:50–58.
17. Callahan LF, Brooks RH, Summey JA, et al. Quantitative pain assessment for routine care of rheumatoid arthritis patients, using a pain scale based on activities of daily living and a visual analog pain scale. Arthritis Rheum 1987;30:630–636.
18. Jenkins CD, Stanton B, Niemcryk SJ, et al. A scale for the estimation of sleep problems in clinical research. J Clin Epidemiol 1988;41:313–321.
19. Krishnan JA, Diette GB, Rand CS. Disparities in outcomes from chronic disease. Br Med J 2001;232:950.
20. Melfi CA, Croghan TW, Hanna MP, et al. Racial variation in antidepressant treatment in a Medicaid population. J Clin Psychiatry 2000;61:16–21.
21. Wells KB, Kamberg C, Brook R. Health status, sociodemographic factors, and the use of prescribed psychotropic drugs. Med Care 1985;23:1295–1306.
22. Sleath B, Clipp E, Doyle M, et al. Psychotropic medication use among African depressed African American and white caregivers of veterans with dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:397–404.
23. Hanlon JT, Fillenbaum GG, Burchett B, et al. Drug-use patterns among black and non-black community-dwelling elderly. Ann Pharmacother 1992;26:679–685.
24. Fillenbaum GG, Horner RD, Hanlon JT, et al. Factors predicting change in prescription and nonprescription drug use in a community-residing black and white elderly population. J Clin Epidemiol 1996;49:587–593.
25. Krishnan J. Race and sex differences in consistency of care with national asthma guidelines in managed care organizations. Arch Intern Med 2001;161:1660–1668.
26. Sleath B, Thorpe J, Landerman R, et al. Medication use among African American and white caregivers of older veterans with dementia. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 2004;2:133–140.
27. Wells KB, Goldberg G, Brooks R, et al. Management of patients on psychotropic drugs in primary care clinics. Med Care 1988;26: 645–657.
28. Sharkness CM, Snow DA. The patient's view of hypertension and compliance. Am J Prev Med 1992;8:141–146.
29. Monane M, Bohn RL, Gurwitz JH, et al. Compliance with antihypertensive therapy among elderly Medicaid enrollees: the role of age, gender, and race. Am J Public Health 1996;86:1805–1808.
30. Jordan J, Bernard S, Callahan L, et al. Self-reported arthritis-related disruptions in sleep and daily life and the use of medical, complementary, and self-care strategies for arthritis. The national survey of self-care and aging. Arch Fam Med 2000;9:143–149.
31. Rao JK, Mihaliak K, Kroenke K, et al. Use of complementary therapies for arthritis among patients of rheumatologists. Ann Intern Med 1999;131:409–416.
32. Sleath B, Rubin RH, Campbell W, et al. Ethnicity and physician-older patient communication about alternative therapies. J Altern Complement Med 2001;7:329–335.
33. Lazar JS, O'Conner BB. Talking with patients about their use of alternative therapies. Prim Care 1997;24:699–714.