1. Holborow EJ, Asherson GL, Johnson GD, et al. Antinuclear factor and other antibodies in blood and liver diseases. Br Med J 1963; 9: 656–658.
2. Moore AE, Sabachewsky L, Toolan HW. Culture characteristics of four permanent lines of human cancer cells. Cancer Res 1955; 15: 598–602.
3. Gniewek RA, Stites DP, McHugh TM, et al. Comparison of antinuclear antibody testing methods: immunofluorescence assay versus enzyme immunoassay. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 1997; 4: 185–188.
4. Fritzler MJ, Wiik A, Tan EM, et al. A critical evaluation of enzyme immunoassay kits for detection of antinuclear autoantibodies of defined specificities. III. Comparative performance characteristics of academic and manufacturers’ laboratories. J Rheumatol 2003; 30: 2374–2381.
5. Meroni PL, Schur PH. ANA screening: an old test with new recommendations. Ann Rheum Dis 2010; 69: 1420–1422.
6. Tan EM, Feltkamp TE, Smolen JS, et al. Range of antinuclear antibodies in “healthy” individuals. Arthritis Rheum 1997; 40: 1601–1611.
7. Li QZ, Karp DR, Quan J, et al. Risk factors for ANA positivity in healthy persons [published online ahead of print]. Arthritis Res Ther 2011; 13: R38.
8. Lahita RG, Chiorazzi N, Gibofsky A, et al. Familial systemic lupus erythematosus in males. Arthritis Rheum 1983; 26: 39–44.
9. Farnam J, Lavastida MT, Grant JA, et al. Antinuclear antibodies in the serum of normal pregnant women: a prospective study. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1984; 73: 596–599.
10. Alves MF, Fraiji NA, Barbosa AC, et al. Fish consumption, mercury exposure and serum antinuclear antibody in Amazonians. Int J Environ Health Res 2006; 16: 255–262.
11. Covini G, von Muhlen CA, Pacchetti S, et al. Diversity of antinuclear antibody responses in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 1997; 26: 1255–1265.
12. Timuragaoglu A, Duman A, Ongut G, et al. The significance of autoantibodies in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 2000; 40: 119–122.
13. Thomas PJ, Kaur JS. Antinuclear, antinucleolar and anticytoplasmic antibodies in patients with malignant melanoma. Cancer Res 1983; 43: 1372–1382.
14. Berlin T, Zandman-Goddard G, Blank M, et al. Autoantibodies in nonautoimmune individuals during infections. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2007; 1108: 584–593.
15. Katz U, Zandman-Goddard G. Drug-induced lupus: an update. Autoimmun Rev 2010; 10: 46–50.
16. Bossuyt X, Hendrickx A, Frans J. Antinuclear antibody titer and antibodies to extractable nuclear antigens. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 53: 987–988.
17. Khan S, Alvi A, Holding S, et al. The clinical significance of antinucleolar antibodies. J Clin Pathol 2008; 61: 283–286.
18. Solomon DH, Kavanaugh AJ, Schur PH. Evidence-based guidelines for the use of immunologic tests: antinuclear antibody testing. American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Immunologic Testing Guidelines. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 47: 434–444.
19. Baturone R, Soto MJ, Márquez M, et al. Health-related quality of life in patients with primary Sjögren’s syndrome: relationship with serum levels of proinflammatory cytokines. Scand J Rheumatol 2009; 38: 386–389.
20. Wigley FM. Raynaud’s phenomenon. N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 1001–1008.
21. Spencer-Green G. Outcomes in primary Raynaud phenomenon: a meta-analysis of the frequency, rates, and predictors of transition to secondary disease. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 595–600.
22. Maricq HR, LeRoy EC. Patterns of finger capillary abnormalities in connective tissue disease by “wide-field” microscopy. Arthritis Rheum 1973; 16: 619–628.
23. Wijeyesinghe U, Russell AS. Outcome of high titer antinuclear antibody positivity in individuals without connective tissue disease: a 10-year follow-up. Clin Rheumatol 2008; 27: 1399–1402.
24. Peene I, Meheus L, Veys EM, et al. Detection and identification of antinuclear antibodies (ANA) in a large and consecutive cohort of serum samples referred for ANA testing. Ann Rheum Dis 2001; 60: 1131–1136.
25. Arbuckle MR, McClain MT, Rubertone MV, et al. Development of autoantibodies before the clinical onset of systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 1526–1533.