1. Kuo JH, Paseika JL, Parrack KM, et al. Endocrine surgery in present-day academia. Surgery 2014;156:1461–1470.
2. Rosato L, Avenia N, Bernante P, et al. Complications of thyroid surgery: analysis of a multicentric study on 14,934 patients operated on in Italy over 5 years. World J Surg 2004;28:271–276.
3. Pons Y, Gauthier J, Ukkola-Pons E, et al. Comparison of LigaSure vessel sealing system, harmonic scalpel, and conventional hemostasis in total thyroidectomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009;141:496–501.
4. Hannan SA. The magnificent seven: a history of modern thyroid surgery. Int J Surg 2006;4:187–191.
5. Siperstein AE, Berber E, Morokoyun E. The use of the harmonic scalpel vs conventional knot tying for vessel ligation in thyroid surgery. Arch Surg 2002;137:137–142.
6. Kilic M, Keskek M, Ertan T, et al. A prospective randomized trial comparing the harmonic scalpel with conventional knot tying in thyroidectomy. Adv Ther 2007;24:632–638.
7. Ferri E, Armato E, Spinato G, et al. Focus harmonic scalpel compared to conventional haemostasis in open total thyroidectomy: a prospective randomized trial. Int J Otolaryngol 2011;2011:357195.
8. Papavramidis TS, Sapalidis K, Michalopoulos N, et al. UltraCision harmonic scalpel versus clamp-and-tie total thyroidectomy: a clinical trial. Head Neck 2010;32:723–727.
9. Cheng H, Soleas I, Ferko NC, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis of Harmonic Focus in thyroidectomy compared to conventional techniques. Thyroid Res 2015;8:15.
10. Cordon C, Fajardo R, Ramirez J, et al. A randomized, prospective, parallel group study comparing the Harmonic Scalpel to electrocautery in thyroidectomy. Surgery 2005;137:337–41.
11. Miccoli P, Berti P, Dionigi GL, et al. Randomized controlled trial of harmonic scalpel use during thyroidectomy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2020; 132:1069–1073.
12. Koh YW, Park JH, Kim JW, et al. The harmonic scalpel technique without supplementary ligation in total thyroidectomy with central neck dissection: a prospective randomized study. Ann Surg 2008;247:945–949.
13. Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, Cicchetti A, et al. The use of "harmonic scalpel" versus "knot tying" for conventional "open" thyroidectomy: results of a prospective randomized study. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2008;393:627–631.
14. Zanghi A, Cavallaro A, Di Vita M, et al. The safety of the Harmonic® FOCUS in open thyroidectomy: a prospective, randomized study comparing the Harmonic® FOCUS and traditional suture ligation (knot and tie) technique. Int J Surg 2014;12(suppl 1):S132–S135.
15. Aires FT, Matos LL, Dedivitis RA, et al. Effectiveness of harmonic scalpel in patients submitted to total thyroidectomy: systematic review with metaanalysis. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992) 2018;64:649–657.
16. Saint Marc O, Cogliandolo A, Piquard A, et al. LigaSure vs clamp-and-tie technique to achieve hemostasis in total thyroidectomy for benign multinodular goiter: a prospective randomized study. Arch Surg 2007;142:150–157.
17. Petrakis IE, Kogerakis NE, Lasithiotakis KG, et al. LigaSure versus clampand-tie thyroidectomy for benign nodular disease. Head Neck 2004;26: 903–909.
18. Kirdak T, Korun N, Ozguc H. Use of Ligasure in thyroidectomy procedures: results of a prospective comparative study. World J Surg 2005;29:771–774.
19. Schiphorst AH, Twigt BA, Elias SG, et al. Randomized clinical trial of LigaSure versus conventional suture ligation in thyroid surgery. Head Neck Oncol 2012;4:2.
20. Singh P, O'Connell D, Langille M, et al. LigaSure versus conventional hemostasis in thyroid surgery: prospective randomized controlled trial. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010;39:378–384.
21. Yao HS, Wang Q, Wang WJ, et al. Prospective clinical trials of thyroidectomy with LigaSure vs conventional vessel ligation: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Arch Surg 2009;144:1167–1174.
22. Garas G, Okabayashi K, Ashrafian H, et al. Which hemostatic device in thyroid surgery? A network meta-analysis of surgical technologies. Thyroid 2013;23:1138–1150.
23. Lee SH, Nguyen TK, Ong WS, et al. Comparing the utility and surgical outcomes of harmonic focus ultrasonic scalpel with Ligasure small jaw bipolar device in thyroidectomies: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg Oncol 2019;26:4414–4422.
24. Alexiou K, Konstantinidou E, Sikalias N. The use of new energy-based haemostatic methods in thyroid surgery. Hellenic J Surg 2015;87:92–96.
25. Manouras A, Markogiannakis H, Koutras AS, et al. Thyroid surgery: comparison between the electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system, harmonic scalpel, and classic suture ligation. Am J Surg 2008;195:48–52.
26. Contin P, Goossen K, Grummich K, et al. ENERgized vessel sealing systems versus CONventional hemostasis techniques in thyroid surgery–the ENERCON systematic review and network meta-analysis. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2013; 398:1039–1056.
27. Ramouz A, Rasihashemi SZ, Safaeiyan A, et al. Comparing postoperative complication of LigaSure Small Jaw instrument with clamp and tie method in thyroidectomy patients: a randomized controlled trial [IRCT2014010516077N1]. World J Surg Oncol 2018;16:154.
28. Siu JM, McCarty JC, Gadkaree S, et al. Association of vesselsSealant devices vs conventional hemostasis with postoperative neck hematoma after thyroid operations. JAMA Surg 2019;154:e193146.
29. Tian J, Li L, Liu P, et al. Comparison of drain versus no-drain thyroidectomy: a meta-analysis. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2017;274:567–577.
30. Maroun CA, El Asmar M, Parks SJ, et al. Drain placement in thyroidectomy is associated with longer hospital stay without preventing hematoma. Laryngoscope 2020;130:1349–1356.
31. Dutta DK, Dutta I. The harmonic scalpel. J Obstet Gynaecol India 2016;66: 209–210.
32. Lyons SD, Law KS. Laparoscopic vessel sealing technologies. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2013;20:301–307.
34. Broughton D, Welling AL, Monroe EH, et al. Tissue effects in vessel sealing and transection from an ultrasonic device with more intelligent control of energy delivery. Med Devices (Auckl) 2013;6:151–154.
35. Chekan EG, Davison MA, Singleton DW, et al. Consistency and sealing of advanced bipolar tissue sealers. Med Devices (Auckl) 2015;8:193–199.
36. Dionigi G, Wu CW, Kim HY, et al. Safety of energy based devices for hemostasis in thyroid surgery. Gland Surg 2016;5:490–494.
37. Melfa G, Porrello C, Cocorullo G, et al. Surgeon volume and hospital volume in endocrine neck surgery: how many procedures are needed for reaching a safety level and acceptable costs? A systematic narrative review. G Chir 2018;39:5–11.