1. Eckleberry-Hunt J, Kirkpatrick H, Taku K, et al. Relation between physicians’ worklives and happiness. South Med J 2016;109:207-212.
2. Lemaire JB, Wallace JE. Not all coping strategies are created equal: a mixed methods study exploring physicians’ self reported coping strategies. BMC Health Serv Res 2010;10:208.
3. Zwack J, Schweitzer J. If every fifth physician is affected by burnout, what about the other four? Resilience strategies of experienced physicians. Acad Med 2013;88:382-389.
4. Stevenson AD, Phillips CB, Anderson KJ. Resilience among doctors who work in challenging areas: a qualitative study. Br J Gen Pract 2011;61:e404-e410.
5. Jensen PM, Trollope-Kumar K, Walters H, et al. Building physician resilience. Can Fam Physician 2008;54:722-729.
6. Wallace JE, Lemaire J. On physician well being--you'll get by with a little help from your friends. Soc Sci Med 2007;64:2565-2577.
7. Maslach C, Jackson S, Leiter M. Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual. 3rd ed. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1996.
8. Shanafelt TD, Boone S, Tan L, et al. Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population. Arch Intern Med 2012;172:1377-1385.
9. Schernhammer ES, Colditz GA. Suicide rates among physicians: a quantitative and gender assessment (meta-analysis). Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:2295-2302.
10. Balch CM, Shanafelt T. Combating stress and burnout in surgical practice: a review. Adv Surg 2010;44:29-47.
11. Anagnostopoulos F, Liolios E, Persefonis G, et al. Physician burnout and patient satisfaction with consultation in primary health care settings: evidence of relationships from a one-with-many design. J Clin Psychol Med Settings 2012;19:401-410.
12. Wallace JE, Lemaire J. Physician well being and quality of patient care: an exploratory study of the missing link. Psychol Health Med 2009;14:545-552.
13. Wallace JE, Lemaire JB, Ghali WA. Physician wellness: a missing quality indicator. Lancet 2009;374:1714-1721.
14. Klimo P, Jr DeCuypere M, Ragel BT, et al. Career satisfaction and burnout among U.S. neurosurgeons: a feasibility and pilot study. World Neurosurg 2013;80:e59-e68.
15. Shanafelt TD, Balch CM, Bechamps GJ, et al. Burnout and career satisfaction among American surgeons. Ann Surg 2009;250:463-471.
16. Shanafelt TD, Hasan O, Dyrbye LN, et al. Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2014. Mayo Clin Proc 2015;90:1600-1613.
17. Wallace JE. Mental health and stigma in the medical profession. Health 2010;16:3-18.
18. Schernhammer E. Taking their own lives-the high rate of physician suicide. N Engl J Med 2005;352:2473-2476.
19. Scheurer D, McKean S, Miller J, et al. U.S. physician satisfaction: a systematic review. J Hosp Med 2009;4:560-568.
20. Shanafelt TD, Oreskovich MR, Dyrbye LN, et al. Avoiding burnout: the personal health habits and wellness practices of US surgeons. Ann Surg 2012;255:625-633.
21. Ruitenburg MM, Frings-Dresen MHW, Sluiter JK. The prevalence of common mental disorders among hospital physicians and their association with self-reported work ability: a cross-sectional study. BMC Health Serv Res 2012;12:292-298.
23. Schaufeli WB, Leiter MP, Maslach C. Burnout: 35 years of research and practice. Career Dev Int 2009;14:204-220.
24. Leiter MP, Durup J. The discriminant validity of burnout and depression: a confirmatory factor analytic study. Anxiety Stress Coping 1994;7:357-373.
25. Maslach C, Leiter M. Understanding the burnout experience: recent research and its implications for psychiatry. World Psychiatry 2016;15:103-111.
26. Firth-Cozens J, Greenhalgh J. Doctors’ perceptions of the links between stress and lowered clinical care. Soc Sci Med 1997;4:1017-1022.
27. Brooks SK, Gerada C, Chalder T. Review of literature on the mental health of doctors: are specialist services needed? J Ment Health 2011;20:146-156.
28. Maslach C, Leiter MP. The Truth About Burnout. San Francisco:Jossey-Bass , 1997.