1. Schoenberg NE, Huang B, Seshadri S, et al. Trends in cigarette smoking and obesity in Appalachian Kentucky. South Med J 2015;108:170-177.
2. Halverson JA, Byrd RC, Ma L, et al. An Analysis of Disparities in Health Status and Access to Health Care in the Appalachian Region. Charleston: Office of Social Environment and Health Research (OSEAHR)/Prevention Research Center, West Virginia University; 2004.
3. Halverson JA, Bischak G. Underlying Socioeconomic Factors Influencing Health Disparities in the Appalachian Region. Charleston: Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center/Office for Social Environment and Health Research, Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University; 2008.
4. Fenelon A, Preston SH. Estimating smoking-attributable mortality in the United States. Demography 2012;49:797-818.
5. Al Snih S, Ottenbacher KJ, Markides KS, et al. The effect of obesity on disability vs mortality in older Americans. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:774-780.
6. Mehta NK, Chang VW. Mortality attributable to obesity among middle-aged adults in the United States. Demography 2009;46:851-872.
Portions of this issue may be available for CME credit. Please email email@example.com for a complete listing of current Southern Medical Journal activities, as well as other SMA educational offerings.